Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Therapist's Tale

I recently completed my first year as a therapist with a crisis intervention program that works primarily with suicidal and homicidal youth.  Technically, it’s been a year and half but I don’t really count the six months I spent being called “the intern” instead of by my real name.  Completing a full year really means very little except that at my agency I got a whopping 2% raise.  And that itself means very little because I’m pretty for sure the state of Illinois has actually found a way to give me a pay increase and decrease at the same time. So, I suppose this is the part where I make the obligatory “I’m not in it for the money” statement. This, in fact, is a lie. Truth is I’m into any (legal) job with a pay check.  If I weren’t, then I wouldn’t have every other Friday circled on my calendar.  So, I guess a more appropriate statement would be, “I’m not in it for a lot of money.”  Honestly, most days I like my job and enjoy what I do. Not that there aren’t days that I want to toss my DSM IV TR in the trash and walk out the door never to have to provide empathetic listening and support to another living soul again.  But, I like seeing families restored and mended.  I love seeing children succeed and doing something they once thought was impossible.  I enjoy equipping and teaching and guiding and challenging and all of the other therapist-y things I get to do…..except for the paperwork….
So, then what’s with the blog you may ask.  If every day I get to dish out my opinion and suggestions to families who need it why do I suddenly feel the need to provide counsel to the rest of the world?  Well, before you go telling me not to pull that counseling crap on you, know that this isn’t your therapy session.  It’s mine.  This is my way to process what’s happening in the imperfect, messy world we live in, acknowledge my imperfections and mistakes, and focus on becoming the person God created me to be.  And if in the process you read this blog and it leads you to becoming a better person as well and we both maximize our potential and influence on this planet then so be it. 
So, since this is my own personal therapy session, I have to establish appropriate boundaries for those who may be reading. (Which, for now, will probably only be my mom.)
1.    These posts are my opinion.  You are absolutely more than welcome to disagree but you are not more than welcome to be mean, rude, or belittling. 
2.    Sense of humor is required.  One of my favorite bloggers, Jonathon Acuff, once made a comment of something to the effect of how sarcasm on the internet has a 2:1 ratio.  For every two people that get it, there is always one who misses the joke.  Don’t be that one.
3.    Personal responsibility must be accepted by all.  Choose your feelings, words, and thoughts.

So…without further ado.  Here is A Therapist’s Tale.

1 comment: